Image Source: www.sciencedirect.com
How to correctly dispose of surgical masks
Unfortunately, mask recycling programs aren't available to everyone, so it's important to make sure you still dispose of single-use masks correctly by putting them in the general waste bin, rather than the curbside recycling bin. Tossing them into the recycling bin can contaminate the other items and even clog the sorting machines at recycling centres.
When removing your face mask, it's essential to avoid touching the front of the mask. Instead, remove the mask using the ear loops. Before disposing of your mask, be sure to cut the ear loops to ensure wildlife doesn't get tangled or injured. Then place your mask in the general waste bin.
Always wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitiser (made up of over 60% alcohol or 70% isopropanol) before and after handling your face mask.
Detmold Group's sustainability objectives
At Detmold Medical, we're committed to making a positive impact for a better tomorrow. As part of this commitment, we're taking proactive measures to make our operations more sustainable with three key objectives:
- Preserve natural resources by adopting sustainable packaging guidelines,
- Keep waste out of nature by diverting waste from landfills across all of our production facilities, and
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by converting our facilities to renewable energy sources.
By introducing sustainable packaging guidelines, reducing emissions, adopting renewable energy and converting to forestry-certified or recycled fibres, we hope to benefit our clients and the planet.
In addition to our three core sustainability objectives, the Detmold Group is also working towards six positive impact targets that we've set out to achieve by 2025. These include:
- 100% of products with Sustainable Packaging Guidelines applied,
- 95% of waste is diverted from landfills across all production facilities,
- 30% reduction in Scope 1 & 2 emissions per kg of product,
- 80% of fibre to be forestry-certified or contains recycled content, with no controversial sourced fibre,
- 100% of stock range that meets Towards 2025 Targets, and
- Three facilities use renewable energy.
These objectives help Detmold Group customers and distributor partners in becoming Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) compliant. In fact, two of the six targets directly align with the wider APCO targets.
At Detmold Medical, we're taking proactive steps towards a more sustainable future. To support a family-owned and operated business, you can shop from our great range of face masks and respirators online. Not sure which mask best suits your needs? Use our face mask comparator to explore the benefits, features and uses of our range. When you buy from Detmold Medical, you're not only supporting Australian-made products, but you're also supporting us to create a better tomorrow.